After being in practice since 1982, Dr. Metaxas still believes that his is the best job ever, and that he is one of the most fortunate individuals to be involved with a working environment that is simply put - fun! Dr. Metaxas is very proud of their entire wonderful team of professionals that make the whole office function as a family. Along with his partner, Dr. Metaxas is focused on bringing to the office a combined orthodontic experience obtained from two different educational environments. This allows Dr. Metaxas and his superb team of professionals to share and interact with each patient at any stage of treatment, creating a positive experience for patients and achieving excellent lasting results.
Dr. Metaxas has been serving the orthodontic needs of patients in Toronto and the surrounding communities since 1982. His extensive education has led him around the world, and provided a great deal of training from some of the top orthodontic institutions.
- Undergraduate dental training and Doctor of Dental Surgery degree - Aristotelian University of Thessaloniki, Greece
- Diploma in Orthodontics (Dipl. Orthod) degree and Master's of Science (M.Sc.) degree - University of Toronto, Faculty of Dentistry, Department of Orthodontics
- European Doctorate (Ph.D) degree - University of Athens Greece
Dr. Metaxas enjoys the educational aspect of orthodontics, and recognizes that every day is an opportunity to learn something new. He is an avid participant in continuing education opportunities, and is heavily involved in helping to educate future generations of dentists and orthodontists. Dr. Metaxas is:
- An Associate Professor at the University of Toronto.
- Actively involved with the undergraduate and graduate orthodontic departments at the Faculty of Dentistry, University of Toronto.
- The Co-Director of the graduate course in Surgical-Orthodontics at the University of Toronto.
- The Co-Director of the Continuing Education Course of Orthodontics for the General Practitioner at the University of Toronto.
- The Co-President of the Orthodontic Alumni Association at the University of Toronto.
In addition, Dr. Metaxas is also a fellow in a number of honor societies including the American College of Dentists, International College of Dentists, Academy of Dentistry International, Pierre Fouchard Academy, and Omicron Kappa Upsilon Honor Dental Society.
Dr. Metaxas has lectured extensively in Canada, U.S.A., Europe and South America over the past 27 years and has written more than 40 articles. He has received numerous awards including the Award of Special Merit by the American Association of Orthodontists, the A.B. Hord Master Teacher Award for excellence in Teaching, and the Manley G. Badner Memorial Award for exceptional dedication to orthodontic education. In 2009, the University of Toronto honored Dr. Metaxas with a plaque in recognition of his commitment to the Faculty of Dentistry for the past 25 years.
Outside of the practice
Dr. Metaxas has been actively involved with the local community since moving to Canada. He was a teacher of the Greek language for the Durham Board of Education, he served as a counselor for male students living in the New College, he was a Big Brother of Metropolitan Toronto, and the past treasurer of the Metropolitan Athens Association of Toronto.
Dr. Metaxas is a huge sports fan, and as a student, he was an active member of the Faculty basketball and soccer teams. These days he is more involved with squash, jogging, and simply staying healthy and happy!
Dr. Metaxas main passions in life are his three wonderful kids that boost his life and help him generate all of the energy he needs to be able to work with patients of all ages, helping them to look and feel their best!